Whether you're hosting a dinner party or setting the table for weeknight supper - meal time can be messy business, so it’s likely that you will need to clean your table linens after each meal. With so much repeated use and need for cleaning, it’s easy for linens to quickly become worn, damaged and dull without the proper care.
However, with our guide to table linen care, you can extend the life of your luxury linens and enjoy that fine dining experience at home meal after meal. Here are some simple care tips to minimize wrinkles, color fading, and fiber damage when laundering yoru linens.
- Treat stains when they are fresh. If stains are allowed to set they become more difficult (or impossible) to remove.
- For most stains, try flushing with sparkling water and then dabbing with a natural, mild detergent.
- For extra stubborn stains, take them to the dry cleaner and tell them what caused the stain. They will be able to select the best method for treatment without damaging the fabric.
- Never use bleach as it will weaken the fibers and cause yellowing.
Washing Table Linens
- Wash light and dark colors separately.
- Wash matching table linens together so they wear at the same rate. This will also help maintain color consistency and brightness.
- Launder table linens separately from clothing to prevent heavy zippers, buttons or rougher materials from damaging the fabric.
- To protect linens with lace or embroideries, place them inside a pillowcase or mesh laundry bag before placing them in the washing machine.
- Machine wash your linens on a gentle cycle using a mild detergent with cold or warm water to avoid shrinkage and excessive wrinkles.
- Remember to never overload the machine as it causes unnecessary abrasion.
- Avoid using bleach or fabric softener.
Drying Table Linens
Using the Dryer
- Shake out and smooth the linens before putting them in the dryer to avoid additional abrasion caused by twisting.
- Dry your table linens on a medium heat setting, as high heat damages the fibers and causes excessive shrinkage.
- Do not use dryer sheets as these artificially coat the fabric with chemicals that can alter the natural softness of the fibers.
- Remove your linens from the dryer a few minutes before the cycle ends, while everything is still warm and steamy. This will prevent wrinkles from setting into the fabric, making things more difficult to iron.
- If you forget to take your linens out of the dryer in time and the wrinkles are fully set, toss a damp, clean, sock in with the load to re-steam your linens.
Line Drying Linens
- Drying your linens in the sun is a natural way to care for your linens. Hanging table linens helps save energy, extend a product’s shelf life, and comes with a natural brightening effect.
- Line drying your table cloths will help them retain their shape and reduce the possibility of shrinkage.
- Although line drying linens often prevents wrinkles altogether, if you plan on ironing your linens, be sure to remove them from the line when they are still slightly damp.
Ironing Your Linens
- If you plan to iron your linens, remove them from the dryer just before they are fully dry. You will find it’s easier to iron slightly damp linens because their fibers still maintain some elasticity that can be ironed into the flat finish you’re looking for.
- ALWAYS make sure your steam iron is clean. Built up mineral deposits can leave unwanted brown spots.
- Use a warm iron setting for cotton and a hotter setting for linens.
- For stubborn wrinkles, spray linens with water and sweep across with your iron.
- For embroidered fabrics, iron on the reverse side on a white towel to preserve the embroidery’s raised effect.
Storing Table Linens
- To prevent crease marks from setting, store tablecloths by hanging on hangers.
- Do not store your table linens in plastic, as this can cause mildew or yellowing. Try covering your linens in cotton, linen or muslin instead.
Home Treasures Luxury Table Linens
We believe in livable luxury, so almost all our products can be laundered at home. Each of our products comes with proper care instructions so that you’ll be able to enjoy your linens for years (even generations) to come. If you’re interested in updating your table linens, we invite you to explore our extensive catalog of luxury linens. And don’t forget, if you want to design something of your own, we’d be happy to customize something just for you and your preferences!